In this article I'm going to give you an an example of one such system that I've created so I wouldn't have to think about what needs to be done around the house.
I've created a a couple of worksheets that contains the following sheets:
- A 2 week worksheet of things that need to be done around the house every day, once a week or every two weeks.
- A worksheet for Monthly, Quarterly and Seasonal type tasks that need to be done.
Currently I'm printing out the 2 week worksheet every two weeks of course and I only need the other worksheet printed once a year. I post them on the family fridge. On the sheets we put the first initial of the person who did the task. If the tasks is on the monthly sheet I may even write the date the tasks were done or other important criteria like mileage on a vehicle.
The "Monthly, Quarterly and Seasonal" sheet is a good start but I think I might have missed some important things. If you have any suggestions that you think should be on there please let me know and I'll update them.
I mentioned earlier that we put the first initial of the person that did the task on our sheets. We do this for a couple of reasons:
- Self-gratification, I can go back and see what I've done.
- Accountability, a person in the household knows that everyone else can see what they are doing.
- There is one book I've read called The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate, I loved this book. In it it showed me that one of my primary love languages were acts of service, that is when someone does something for me I feel loved. This list is great for me and is a very reassuring to see my wife and kids doing things on this list.